Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Rituals


“…while he was with them at table, he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them.  With that their eyes were opened and they recognized him, but he vanished from their sight.”  (Luke 24: 30-31   New American Bible, revised edition)

One of my favorite speakers is Cardinal Dolan of New York.  On Thursdays I try to listen to his one hour program on Sirius XM radio.  He provides me with inspiration, education and humor.  One day he was talking about the importance of ritual in people’s lives.  Responding to a question about the necessity of attending Mass weekly he equated it to family rituals such as Sunday dinner with the family.  

We all have rituals whether we realize it or not.  Private rituals can include things like a morning routine.  As a high school student I would get up before my parents.  As I was going out the door to catch the bus to school I would fix a cup of coffee for my mother.  Over the years it became a special practice between us.  Even when I was married and living far from her, when I came home to visit it became my privilege to make Mom’s coffee.  

We have other more public family rituals.  We can see this most often at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Whose house will host the dinner, what special side dishes accompany the turkey?  While most families have barbecues for the Fourth of July my family has a rib roast because it is my husband’s birthday and many years ago HIS mother started celebrating his birthday with that special meal.  Being the “good” daughter-in-law I have continued the custom.

And so, as Cardinal Dolan put so nicely on the radio, rituals are important.  They keep us knitted together.  I would suggest that making a ritual of meeting with God in community is an even more vital ritual than searching for a standing rib roast in July.  That weekly ritual goes for everyone, Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Muslim.  I am reminded of the prayers at the foot of the altar when I was a girl.  “I will go to the altar of God.  The God who gives joy to my youth.”

Eileen

No comments:

Post a Comment