Friday, July 13, 2012

More Than We Can Image




“Now to him who is able to accomplish far more than all we ask or imagine by the power at work within us” (Ephesians 3:20).

In my fifties, I decided to go back to school. My skills were minimal in my early twenties on my first go-round and clearly have gone downhill since.  A recent challenge came about with a demanding research paper. It had been a frustrating day so I greeted a break with open arms as it was time to go to church. I gladly bolted out the door.

 In the midst of the service I found myself praying, or perhaps, more appropriately, murmuring to God “…and why am I back to school? Many people are more capable:  younger; better writers; ones with memories.  I can’t even articulate myself properly!”  I turned my attention back to the service as I realized that everyone around me was reading. 

As I began to read along,  I heard the echoes of an elderly gentleman that was clearly beat -up by the years and what appeared to be a pretty devastating stroke. This man was stumbling over every word; proper diction was impossible but he was worshiping with all he had and was giving his heart and soul to God. 

My thoughts began to re-focus from my lack of ability to God’s abilities through us.  He’s not looking for perfection, only willing souls! The Bible is full of flawed humans that were willing.  Abraham was old, Moses stuttered, David was a murderer, Rahab was a prostitute, Isaiah was suicidal, Jonah was a coward, Paul was arrogant, and Peter was a liar. We, too, are human and lack perfection, but in Ephesians we are reminded that we can accomplish more than we can imagine with God’s power, “Now to him who is able to accomplish far more than all we ask or imagine by the power at work within us” (3:20).

Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment