Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Kudzu's Consuming Power



 “Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world-lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life-comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever” (1 John 2:15-17 NIV).

Most of the time when I’m traveling the interstate, the trees to the left and the right are nothing more than a boring blur of various shades of green and brown. This time was different; I was taken by the uniqueness of each and every tree that gracefully lined both sides of the road. The varieties included: young and old trees, small and large with varied shaped leaves in an array of greens, and uniquely sculptured bark in a range of gray and brown hues.

  As I drove further, I lost sight of all the details I had earlier appreciated because the kudzu vine now consumed the trees. Kudzu vine grows as much as a foot a day and can kill plants and trees by blocking sunlight or strangling and breaking branches. It has even been known to uproot entire trees through the sheer weight. I started thinking how the trees reminded me of people. We too, come in different shapes, sizes and colors. Similarly, the kudzu vine is like our love of the world, slowly meandering its way until we are consumed by its sheer weight.

Most days, I start by reading the Bible or some type of devotional with the intent to be a disciple for Christ. In no time, I find myself having to pull away the vines of the world realizing that I’ve been entrapped: spending money on frivolous items, speaking badly about someone, showing indifference to a needy family member or being just too busy to befriend someone who is lonely. The world can cast a shadow on the truth and uproot us from staying focused on our real purpose.

I admire and respect the life of those who actually shake off the world, such as Brother Lawrence, a French Monk in the 17th century. He developed a technique of a continual practice of mindful meditation. In his reflections of God’s presence, he says, “Let us think often that our only business in this life is to please God. Perhaps all besides is but folly and vanity.” * May we, too, avoid the engrossing and devouring vines of this world by keeping our minds and lives Christ-centered.





*“Brother Lawrence Quotes.” O’Christian.com, n.d.   Web.  20 May 2012.

     51712

1 comment:

  1. I have just come across this whilst looking for something quite different, I did a project at uni which involved research about Kudzu vine, I've never seen it in the flesh but it does look very creepy. I think this is a great insight, and will stick with me, thank you.

    ReplyDelete