Monday, July 16, 2012

A Matter of Attitude


Therefore, we who are receiving the unshakable kingdom should have gratitude, with which we should offer worship pleasing to God in reverence and awe. (Heb 12:28 NAB Revised)

Whether we are sick or healthy our attitudes are important to how we live.  Recently I have been contemplating actions I have been taking.  I have become increasingly negligent of my household chores.  It may have something to do with an attitude of sickness I have learned over the past few years.  This new century has brought me a series of medical problems, from an ankle fracture with multiple surgeries to deal with infections and the eventual removal of the hardware, through a quite complicated hysterectomy with colon surgery a few months later, and other orthopedic problems involving a bad shoulder.  Last year I spent close to a week in the hospital and a month flat on my back from an infection in one of my legs.  Now I am looking at more tests and unknown treatment for a possible lung problem.  I have finally realized I am developing the attitude of an invalid.  

While working as a parish nurse I visited two women whose attitudes sharply demonstrated how attitude can affect one’s life.  Mrs. A. had severe rheumatoid arthritis and was essentially wheelchair bound.  On my first visit I was appalled to find her struggling to make lunch for her thirty something year old son to take to work.  My thoughts ran something on the lines of how terrible the son was to make his mother hobble around when he was more than capable of making his own lunch.  Mrs. B. was quite the opposite.  She was essentially bedbound and had her family waiting on her hand and foot.  

As I got to know Mrs. A. I learned she was determined to stay active and cheerful.  She was excited about her son’s upcoming wedding, her grandchildren’s sports activities.  She was funny, sharp and I always left her house laughing.  On the contrary, visits to Mrs. B. can only be classified as downers.  She whined and complained constantly about her family, the church.  I had to force myself to visit her, especially after I found out from the doctor that she had literally put herself to bed.  She did not have any diagnosable medical condition.  

Reflecting on these two ladies, I have come to the conclusion that the positive attitude is preferable even in the face of debilitating medical problems.  One of the steps in the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius which has also been adopted by Alcoholics Anonymous is to develop and Attitude of Gratitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment