Saturday, July 28, 2012

Morning Glories




For the sun comes up with its scorching heat and dries up the grass, its flower droops, and the beauty of its appearance vanishes. So will the rich person fade away in the midst of his pursuits. (James 1:11 NAB)

 Each morning on my daily walk, I cannot wait until I get to the top of the hill to see if the beautiful white morning glories are still in bloom. As I meander my way over to appreciate the details of this short-lived, delicate wild flower, the stately, skyline of houses in the background quickly brings me back to reality. I often feel a stomach-ache coming on when the materialism of my current lifestyle consumes my peripheral vision; large houses on each side and mine rising in the background. I’m not talking about nice, suburban homes.  I’m referring to oversized, unnecessary greed. Several verses from the book of James invade my thoughts:

The brother in lowly circumstances should take pride in his high standing, and the rich one in his lowliness, for he will pass away “like the flower of the field.” For the sun comes up with its scorching heat and dries up the grass, its flower droops, and the beauty of its appearance vanishes. So will the rich person fade away in the midst of his pursuits (James 1:9-11 NAB).

How did I ever allow myself to get so far from what is really important?  And how did truth slowly slip away until I could no longer identify it? I regret my years of chasing after the wind.  I’m thankful that God awakened my foolish pattern of life even though it has been through a stressful financial struggle-- one that I’m still battling. This may be what is meant by the phrase, “Hell is getting exactly what you wanted.”

While the process has been hard, even bitter at times, through much Bible study and prayer I’m finding my way back to the hidden treasures of life. Our house is for sale and we weekly evaluate where we are, but I have discovered that it is much easier to get into things than to get out. My husband and I have adopted a new mission statement that comes from Ecclesiastes (4:6 NAB): “Better is one handful with tranquility than two with toil and chasing after the wind!” I am not proud of where I am right now in life, but for whatever short time I have, I am asking God to guide me to “bloom where I am planted.”

Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment